Thursday, April 17, 2008

The One With The Argument

I heard an argument between a couple the other day and I think the guy is using ad populum appeal to force or ad populum appeal to spite or even paradox because his statement makes sense logically, but I know it cannot be true.

Him: This is all your fault! I didn’t complete my study in time, I have to extend for one year is all because of you!
She: How come it’s my fault you extend your study for a year!?
Him: Because you caused so many problems. You never understand me, you want my attention all the time, you want me to entertain all your needs. And when I didn’t do any of that, we’ll have a fight and I will end up trying to comfort you
She: ……
Him: The final exams are coming soon. Please don’t cause any more problems.
She: Sorry dear. I’ll try to change my attitude

I think it’s the guy’s fault he didn’t finished his study on time. He should know how to prioritize his life. As a student, study comes first. If he thinks a girlfriend would cause so many problems, then don’t be in a relationship in the first place. Plus, the problem they’re having might caused from him too. So, it’s not fair to blame the girl alone for their problems. But the guy uses paradox to support his main claim and the girl ends up apologizing even though she’s not entirely to be blamed.

No comments: