Sunday, April 13, 2008

The One Where There's A Wedding

A brother of a friend of mine got married today and he invited the whole gang to the wedding. So we went. I fetched a friend who lives in Subang Jaya since I'm coming from Damansara and the wedding is in Puchong. In the car after i fetched her, when she suddenly..

She: OH NOOO!!!
Me: Why? Whyy??
She: I left my phone..
Me: You don't really need phone right? We'll only be going to the wedding for a couple of hours.
She: I can't live without my handphone..you're a kind hearted person right..plus, u look extra pretty today..hehe..could we please turn back to get my phone? (My friend is using ad populum appeal to vanity. She tries to make me feel "special" by saying I'm kind hearted and pretty so that I'll agree with her to turn around to get her phone)
Me: Fine. You owe me lunch!
She: Ok. I'll buy you lunch at the wedding. Hehe.

Later, on our way to the wedding, we had a conversation..

She: Will you give the newly wed any present?
Me: Emm, no? Should I?
She: Guess so. It's a tradition to give something to the newly wed. (Here, my friend is using ad populum appeal to tradition)
Me: Well, there's no way we're going to find a present now. Nevermind, I'll just wish him long and happy and prosperous life with his wife. Hehe.

At the wedding, when the groom and the bride stepped outside the house, people started throwing paddy at them. I think it's such a waste to throw food. But everybody else is doing it and seemed fine with it, so I joined them (I wanted to belong as part of a group of other people. So, this is an example of ad populum appeal of common practice). Plus, people said by throwing paddy to the newly wed it is believed that it will bring them luck in facing their new lifes as a married couple (I was persuaded to think it is not wrong to throw paddy at the newly wed because everyone else seems not to think it is wrong).

We ate until our stomach bloated. Took pictures with the groom and bride. And then we went home.

CONGRATULATIONS
TO
IRWAN & NANA!!


No comments: