Friday, April 11, 2008

The One With The Problematic

I came in late for yesterday critical thinking's class. When I looked at the board, I saw few words that made me think "Great! Madam Aznur already discussed about the second assignment!" (Here I'm using assumption. I assumed that Madam Aznur already discussed about the second assignment based on few words that I saw on the board. Where in fact, she might wrote those words as a reminder to discussed about the second assignment after class or maybe those words were written by previous lecturer). Now, I realize I have a problem. In this case, the problem is I do not know how to do the second assignment, when in reality I should! (Since there's a gap between what i expect to happened and what actually happened, I knew that I'm having a problem, I've decided to use the four steps of a problem-solving model. This is the first step of a problem-solving model: define the problem)
I thought of meeting Madam Aznur to ask about the assignment after class, but my friend messaged me saying that I have a meeting at 12 o'clock! After I finished my meeting, I had class from 2-4 pm and then I went straight home because I already promise my mom I'll buy dinner and I'd be going home right after class to avoid jammed since I live in damansara. (The second step: analyze the problem. Here I answered few questions of why does the problem occured, like why didn't I meet Madam Aznur after class? Why did i go home straight after class? By answering these questions, I am clear why did the problem arise)

I gave myself few options..
Option 1: Go to Cyber today and meet Madam Aznur to ask about the second assignment
Option 2: Go to Cyber on Monday and meet Madam Aznur to ask about the second assignment
Option 3: Email Madam Aznur to ask about the second assignment
(Here, I used step 3 of problem-solving model. I make a list of possible solutions I could take to make the problem "dissappear")

Option1: Go to Cyber today and meet Madam Aznur to ask about the second assignment
- I don't have any class today, so going to cyber just for an explanation of an assignment seemed like a waste (This is a vague statement. What do i mean by "waste"? Waste of money or waste of time or both). Plus, there's a possibility of Madam Aznur is not available. But if I do go to cyber, I'll be able to start with the assignment today, and if Madam Aznur is not in, I can ask for Miss Jessica's help.
Option 2: Go to Cyber on Monday and meet Madam Aznur to ask about the second assignment
- On the other hand, if I procrastinate and meet Madam Aznur on Monday, I won't be able to finished the assignment on time, then my marks will be deducted and it will affect my carry marks and I will fail this paper. If I fail this paper, I won't be able to graduate on time and I have to extend one semester just for one subject! And then I'll have no friends because my friends will be graduating this semester! NNOOOO!!!! (This is an ad populum appeal to indirect consequences because it is not possible that I'll be friendless if I procrastinate and decided to meet Madam Aznur on Monday)
Option 3: Email Madam Aznur to ask about the second assignment
- Emailing Madam Aznur is going to save cost. But what if she doesn't check her email frequently? There could be problem with the network, my email might not reach Madam Aznur.

After going through the pros and cons of all options, I decided to go to cyber today and lucky me, Madam Aznur was in and that's why I am able to start blogging today ;) (Step 4: Decide on the appropriate alternative. I listed the advantages and disadvantages of each options and i chose Option 1 because it has more advantages compared to other options)

No comments: